DEADLINE : Sep 28, 2023
LEVEL: Master, Doctorate
FINANCE: Fully Funded
The call for applications for the Rhodes Scholarship Program for Canada is now open for the 2023-2024 academic year. This scholarship program was established in 1903 and is considered the oldest international scholarship program in the world. The scheme is administered by the Rhodes Trust in Oxford and provides 100 fully-funded scholarships each year for postgraduate study at the University of Oxford in the UK.
Up to eleven scholarships will be awarded to Masters and PhD students , under the program for Canada. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a social engagement and a final interview. Participation is required for selection. Social engagement and final interviews will take place across Canada in November. All applicants will receive an email with the outcome of their application.
Considered the oldest university in the English-speaking world, Oxford is a unique and historic institution. There is no exact date of foundation, but education had existed at Oxford in one form or another since 1096 and grew rapidly from 1167 when Henry II banned English students from attending the University of Paris. The University of Oxford is a collegiate research universitylocated in Oxford, England. The university enrolls over 24,000 students, including 11,955 undergraduates and 12,010 graduate students, with 45% of the student population being foreign. Oxford has consistently ranked among the best universities in the world and has achieved the top spot in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings for the past few years (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021).
Table of Contents
- Host institution : University of Oxford, UK .
- Fields of study : Masters and PhD programs available at the University of Oxford.
- Number of awards : up to 11.
- Duration : not specified.
- Eligible Countries : Open to citizens and permanent residents of Canada .
Benefits of Rhodes Scholarships for Canada
Selected candidates for this Scholarship in Europe program will have the following coverage:
- all university and college fees;
- university application fees;
- a living allowance of £18,180 per year (£1,515 per month) for 2022-23 to cover living expenses and accommodation costs;
- fees required for study at Oxford University;
- student visa fees;
- Health Insurance;
- an economy class air ticket to Oxford at the start of the scholarship , and an economy class flight to the student’s home country at the conclusion of the scholarship;
- Upon arrival at Oxford, scholarship recipients receive a settling-in allowance and for scholarship recipients who transfer to a second course of study at Oxford, they will again receive assistance with visa renewal costs and re-application IHS.
Eligibility for Rhodes Scholarships for Canada
To apply for this UK scholarship scheme , applicants must meet the following criteria.
- Nationality/Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Education/residency: you must be domiciled in Canada
- Age: As of October 1, 2023, you must meet one of the criteria below:
- You must be at least 18 years old and not have reached your 24th birthday (ie you must have been born after October 1, 1999 and no later than October 2, 2005).
- OR (for older applicants who obtained their first undergraduate degree later than usual). You must not have reached your 27th birthday (i.e. be born after October 1, 1996) AND you have completed or will complete the requirements for your first degree must have been (or will be) awarded on or after on October 1, 2022.
- Academic result: you must have obtained (or have obtained by June/July 2024) an undergraduate degree from a college or university (normally a Bachelor’s degree ) at a sufficiently high standard to be admitted to postgraduate study degree at Oxford University. In this regard, please carefully note the requirements for the course you have chosen at Oxford.
- Re-application: If your first application for the Rhodes Scholarships is unsuccessful, you may only apply once thereafter and only to the same region of Rhodes Canada as the original application, subject to meeting the eligibility criteria. eligibility.
How to Apply for Rhodes Scholarships for Canada
Those wishing to be considered for this college scholarship should click on the apply button below and follow the instructions to submit their applications.
You must submit a completed online application form with copies of the documents and information detailed below. All documents must be submitted in English, or with English translations included. Please note that, if you are invited for an interview, you may be asked to bring originals of all documents with you:
- Your birth certificate, confirming that you meet the age criteria.
- A copy of a valid passport confirming that you meet the citizenship criteria. Proof of Canadian domicile will be required for applicants who were born, or currently live or attend university, outside of Canada.
- An official transcript from the college or university where you are studying or have studied, showing grades earned (to date). If possible, your transcript should also include the number of students and your rank for each year of your course).
- A written statement from the president or acting president of your college or university endorsing your application for the scholarship. All applicants currently attending a university must obtain the endorsement of their university president or equivalent representative. The endorsement should confirm that you are a student in good standing of the institution and, if possible, additional information to support your application.
- If English is not your first language, please also review the university’s English language requirements.
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae which must include details of academic qualifications, awards, scholarships, leadership positions, positions, involvement in student, volunteer, community or political activities and any cultural, musical or athletic achievements. This should not exceed two A4 pages (12pt font size).
- A color photograph of the head and shoulders (JPG format).
- An academic statement of study not exceeding 350 words.
- A personal statement not exceeding 750 words.
- You will need to provide a list of six people (your references) who are willing to submit references on your behalf: i. At least three of your referees must be academics who have formally taught and graded you in your undergraduate (or, if applicable, postgraduate) studies and who can comment in detail on your academic abilities and how they think you are. get out of it in Oxford.< /li>
place of application
Applications may be submitted for consideration to six regional selection committees responsible for selecting the eleven scholarships offered each year:
- British Columbia – one scholarship
- Prairie Region – three scholarships
- Ontario – two scholarships
- Quebec – two scholarships
- Maritimes Region – two scholarships
- Newfoundland and Labrador – one scholarship.
Applicants currently studying in Canada may apply to a region that meets one of the following two criteria:
The region where you attended a university that awarded you a degree or is about to do so. However, in the case of Newfoundland and Labrador, you must usually reside there to be eligible to apply in that province.
The region where you normally reside. If you reside in Nunavut, Yukon or the Northwest Territories you can apply in the Prairies region.
Applicants currently studying outside of Canada should apply in the region where they normally reside. In case of uncertainty about the region in which to submit your candidacy, communicate with the national secretary who will decide the question according to the information at his disposal. His contact details can be found on the last page of this information document.
NB : Please do not upload any documents, certificates, testimonials or links/URLs other than those required. All applications must be submitted online. No other method of application is accepted. There is no application fee for submitting the Rhodes Scholarship application form.
For any other queries, please visit the official website or send your message to firstname.lastname@example.org .
The application deadline for the Rhodes Scholarships for Canada is . For more details, please visit the university’s website. Stay connected with us!